Many of us are working more hours than we should, spending most of the day sat at our office desk, surrounded by mountains of paperwork and using the old “no time to exercise” excuse more than ever.
Even if the work piles up in the office you don’t have to entirely forget to take care of your fitness.
We’ve answered a few of your burning questions along with some exercises you can do whilst sitting in your office chair...
How Can I Burn Calories While Sitting Down?
Sitting for long periods slows your metabolism down, which can lead to weight gain.
Although you could invest in height adjustable desks, treadmills and desk risers so you can stand whilst working, these items can be quite costly especially if you need to kit out the entire office.
Luckily, you can do other things at your office desk to burn calories before investing in a feature packed height adjustable desk...
- Toe taps - Start by tapping your toes 25 times as you keep your heel on the floor. Then tap your foot side to side 25 times using your heel as a pivot point. Doing this exercise several times a day will help to rack up the amount of calories you burn.
- Calf raises - Sit up straight in your office chair with your feet flat on the floor. Raise your heels off the floor as far as possible then lower your heels and repeat 10 times
- Sit up straight -Sitting up straight with your shoulder back and abs tight engages several muscles in your torso, back and shoulders. This will burn a few more calories and keep your back healthy.
- Stretch - Sitting at your office desk all day can leave you with aches and pains. Stretching will relieve this tension and burn a small amount of calories. Sit up straight, raise your arms over your head and clasp your hands together then lean to left or right side and hold for 10 to 20 seconds.
How Can I Lose Weight Sitting Down At An Office Desk All Day?
We all know it's tempting to snack throughout the day whilst you're sat at your office desk to get over that mid-afternoon slump, but don't do it! Here are a few tips to help you lose weight whilst sitting down at your office desk...
- Snack wise - Choose snacks that will help you feel full - like nuts, yogurts and hummus
- Drink plenty of water all day long - fill a big bottle in the morning and use it up as the day goes on
- Sit up straight - Sitting up straight with your shoulders back and your abs tight compared to slouching at your desk requires engaging more muscle and can burn more calories
- Keep sweets out of sight - People are more likely to overeat small treats from transparent packages than from opaques ones. So store your digestives in your drawer so you aren't tempted to treat yourself to one that may lead to the entire packet
What Exercises Can I Do While Sitting?
Even if you're stuck in your office chair for extended periods, you can still do exercises to stretch and move your body. While they may not produce the same results as going to the gym or for a run, remember when it comes to exercise, every little bit helps.
- Chair Dips
Sit on the edge of your chair with your arms by your sides, put your palms on the edge of your seat allowing your fingers over the edge. Move your body weight forwards and lower down off the chair. Hold your body for 5 seconds then push back up onto the seat. Work up to 3 sets of 10 reps
Benefits: Works shoulders and triceps
- Arm Circles
Sit on your chair and put your arms straight out to your sides to form a T shape and press your shoulder blades together. Extend your arms with palms down, thumbs facing forward, and do 20 forward circles with your arms. Flip your palms up, thumbs facing behind you, and do 20 backward circles with your arms. Repeat 2 to 3 times.
Benefits: Works shoulders, improves posture
- Leg Raises
Sit on the edge of your office chair with your arms by your sides. Extend your right leg out straight and flex your foot so that just the right heel is on the floor (keeping your foot flexed engages the muscles in the shins and ankle). Lift your leg up as high as you can without rounding your back. Hold for 3 counts then lower. Repeat with the other leg. Work up to 3 sets of 10 reps on each leg.
Benefits: Works hips and thighs
- Yoga Poses
Practicing yoga poses and sequences in the office will help minimise discomfort throughout the day, making it easier for you to focus on work. Read our Ultimate Office Yoga Guide for poses you can do in your office chair.
Benefits: Helps stretch out muscles
Office Furniture from Bluespot Furniture
Buy your office furniture online from Bluespot Furniture today, and you'll find hundreds of different office desks, storage solutions and office chairs in an unrivaled range of sizes, styles and colours - all at ultra-competitive prices.
All our furniture is made in the UK from high quality materials, to exacting standards. Choose Bluespot Furniture for your office furniture online and you'll benefit from free next day delivery, honest advice and a 10 year guarantee on all our products.
For further information on any of our products or service, call a friendly member of our experienced sales team on 0800 8044 760, or email firstname.lastname@example.org today
Design is a funny word The Covid-19 lockdown caught many businesses unprepared, resulting in heavy investment to allow remote working….